Health Insurance Premiums on the Rise? Kill Me Now!

As part of this class, I intend to find out what about government is SO important that I absolutely MUST become a more informed voter. Well, here is a start.

A recent article written in the New York Times reveals Anthem Blue Cross is raising its premiums to cover the increase in medical costs. As I recently spent the evening in the emergency room not even 7 months ago, I do understand that medical costs are at an all time high. However, so are insurance costs. Dental benefits don't coverly nearly half the work my sweet tooth requires. Scripts are so high I've decided drinking a double shot espresso is a cheaper alternative to any ADHD medications my doctor can prescribe. So how can a company that profited over my debts this past year dare raise their premiums?

How do I stop this? Can it be stopped? As much as I can call the company itself and scream random obscenities, I alone cannot stop these insurance companies from profiting off my broken bones. Ok, you've got my attention.

Someone please help me.....mmmm, cake.....uh.....afford medical....stuff!



http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/health/policy/12insure.html?ref=policy

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pass or Fail? How to Grade an Incomplete Assignment

How do you fairly grade an assignment that hasn't completely been finished? A colleague of mine recently attempted to grade Obama's work as president. Every article, every news station, and even Jon Stewart on Comedy Central's the Daily Show have something to say about what Obama is doing in Washington. Obama's recent project: the health care reform. Some people see it as the only thing he's been able to accomplish as president, even though he is currently working on several different major projects at once. Guantanamo Bay, the peace treaties with Russia and Israel, the war in Iraq, and the economic stimulus are only some of the changes Obama has been working on in the past year and a half. So how do you grade a project that hasn't yet reached the deadline? I can't personally say that I think Obama is doing a great job or a horrible job as president. The author of the recently written blog themselves agree that it is hard to say what will come over the next two and a half years. Obama does have some hard critics that are just waiting to see him fail, and I can see how some would be quick to fail him, the decline in the economy being the number one reason. My personal opinion, don't be too quick to deliver a grade to an assigment that hasn't been turned in yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment