Health Insurance Premiums on the Rise? Kill Me Now!

As part of this class, I intend to find out what about government is SO important that I absolutely MUST become a more informed voter. Well, here is a start.

A recent article written in the New York Times reveals Anthem Blue Cross is raising its premiums to cover the increase in medical costs. As I recently spent the evening in the emergency room not even 7 months ago, I do understand that medical costs are at an all time high. However, so are insurance costs. Dental benefits don't coverly nearly half the work my sweet tooth requires. Scripts are so high I've decided drinking a double shot espresso is a cheaper alternative to any ADHD medications my doctor can prescribe. So how can a company that profited over my debts this past year dare raise their premiums?

How do I stop this? Can it be stopped? As much as I can call the company itself and scream random obscenities, I alone cannot stop these insurance companies from profiting off my broken bones. Ok, you've got my attention.

Someone please help me.....mmmm, cake.....uh.....afford medical....stuff!



http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/health/policy/12insure.html?ref=policy

Friday, February 26, 2010

An Eye For An Eye

After reading any of opinion articles that quite honestly I could care less about, this one struck my intrest harder than I thought an article ever could.
Roger Cohen of the New York Times writes about the attack of 9/11 and the war in Iraq. I've always heard different opinions on this topic and never REALLY knew how to feel or which side to take. I remember a middle school report I had to write on "just wars" (I went to a Catholic School) and what qualifies them as just. Originally I thought, a just war must be one that essentially serves a larger purpose, such as fighting for religious beliefs or freedom. As I grew older, I found it harder and harder to justify these just wars. Is there really ever a right reason to be at war with anyone? I've heard that when someone bullies you, you should always be able to stand your ground. "Fight for what you believe in", "Stand up for yourself", "Don't show them you'll put up with that" is what I've been told. What about being a bigger person? Where are the peacemakers?
Cohen writes: "U.S. government would be outraged at such extrajudicial executions on American soil. We don’t want to live in a world where nations blow up enemies, or smother them with pillows, in other countries with which they’re not at war." I don't know about the rest of Americans, but I would prefer not to be known as a nation that "blows up our enemies". He continues to say in reference the the C.I.A. directed covert programs, "The drone strikes are concentrated on Pakistan, with which America is not at war. The Obama administration has declined to say anything about this doctrine of targeted killing." Why is this?
Americans have always had a difference of opinion when it comes to the death penalty. Do we really have the right to take the lives of others who aren't even envoled? And even for those who are, do we have the right to take their lives? Cohens article addresses the war from a standpoint I have yet to hear, and that may be because I haven't really been to involved in politics, but it is the first to really make me think. He uses strong references and great analogies that make his column relatable.
Remember, "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind".

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/26/opinion/26iht-edcohen.html?ref=opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment